Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Squirrel Disposal

Hi all

Bad news on the wild life front.
Looked out into the back garden this morning and noticed a squirrel sat in
an unusual pose.
Appeared to be digging for nuts, but with his (her) tail laid along his
back.
About 1/2 hour later, SWMBO saw that he was now laid out on his side.
Being a nurse she started on about twisted bowels etc etc.
Anyway I have to be prepared to face a deceased squirrel when I return this
evening.
I know some people in the group consider them pests and would say good
riddance, but I like to see them.

The problem comes in disposing of the remains.
Do I put him in the green bin as this is destined for landfill, or are there
a million and one rules about not including ex-squirrels or other animals in
domestic waste?
I am reluctant to bury him in the garden as we are remodelling and would no
doubt end up digging him up again.
We only have a small composter, so this is not suitable.
SWMBO does not like the Hugh Fernley-Wittingstall approach and I have no
intention of learning butchery at the expense of the recently departed.

So, assuming we do not witness a miraculous recovery, where does Sammy
squirrel go?

TIA

Phil