Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie Bobbie is offline

Default Squirrel Disposal

Judith in France wrote:
On Jul 11, 10:05 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

T...

In article ,
says...
"Sheila" wrote in message
om...

On the bonfire. It is a Grey I presume? Dont physically touch it
either,
Why?
Mary
I assume because Sheila was concerned as to why it died?

I'll buy that although I didn't know there were any contagious diseases
common to squirrel and man :-)

I'm concerned about how it died too.

Mary

Perhaps rabies? My husband told me there was an outbreak of rabies in
the UK some years ago, do you remember hearing about that Mary?

Judith

"In the UK the last human death from indigenous classical rabies
occurred in 1902, and the last case of indigenous terrestrial animal
rabies was in 1922. Most cases of rabies in the UK now occur in
quarantined animals, or in people infected abroad. Since 1946 there have
been 22 deaths in people infected with rabies abroad.

Two imported cases of rabies occurred in 2001, one was acquired in
Nigeria and the other in the Philippines. None of the 22 imported cases
received post-exposure prophylactic treatment for rabies either in the
country of origin or in the UK. In 2003 it was recognised that UK bats
may carry a rabies-like virus, European Bat Lyssavirus 2 (EBL2). A man
who was a bat handler died from EBL2 infection probably acquired in
Scotland."
http://tinyurl.com/599d59

HTH

Bobbie.