Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rehn rehn is offline

Default Don't mention the war.......

On Jul 11, 12:52 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:31:09 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

I used to be hypersensitive to wasps and over the years it was geting
worse and worse, I had 2 courses od desentization and the last course
(Pure venom) worked but I am still very wary of the little blighters.

A colleague of mine had two emergencies because he was so sensitive.
He had to be desensitised. Before that the wasps seemed to chase him
just to annoy him.

'seemed to' !

How did they know he was sensitive? Do sensitive people smell
different?

No. But they don't sting for fun.

Mary

If I have problems with wasps-nests that I can't burn right away I
have 2 methods I use.
1. I put a vacuum cleaner right at the entrance and let it stay there
for a couple of hours. Banging the wall or whatever they are hiding
behind a few times.
Repeat after a week to kill the newly emerged wasps.
2 Here in Sweden we have a powder "Myrr" that are supposed to be used
against ants. I works against wasps too. I take a bit about 50 cm of
½" tubing. Fill it with a few cm3 of "Myrr". Put one end of the tube
at the entrance. Blow hard in the other end. DON'T INHALE with the
tube at or near your mouth. "Myrr" don't kill them but makes them
abdomen the nest, with all the eggs, larvae and pupas.

I general, try to kill as many wasps as possible, it is the homeless
wasps that are most annoying and and looking for sweets. Wasps that
have larvae to feed is more interested in animal food like aphids. So
if you burn the nest, do it late when everybody is at home......;-)

John