Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Don't mention the war.......

On Jul 11, 9:41 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

As a bit of an aside I seem to have a wasp nest in an abandoned
mole/mouse hole at the edge of my lawn. Is this normal, all other wasp
nests I have seen are outside and consist of a "paper" ball?

It's normal for some types of social wasps to make nests in abandoned mouse
holes, excavating them to make the hole big enough. Bumble bees do the same.

Most social wasps prefer to build nests in sheltered places, the paper is
fragile and can be damaged by wind and rain.

Don't worry about the nest, the wasps will die off in a couple of months or
so and the nest won't be re-occupied. If you try to kill the wasps or dig
out the nest while it's still occupied you're asking for trouble.

Mary

Mary, you may remember years ago, I was stung multiple times by wasps
that also chased me into the house and stung me through my clothes, I
ended up in the shower fully clothed with wasps dripping off me, in my
hair ugh, I still have the shivers. We had a wasps' nest in the bank
and our grandson was forever trying to catch them, also they were a
menace when he was eating fruit from the trees outside. I did a very
stupid thing, as I posted before, I took some advice to wait until
nightfall and pour down jeyes fluid into the hole. They swarmed out
after me, I have never been so frightened in my life, now I have an
absolute terror of them, one buzz and I am off.

Judith