Old 11-07-2008, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Glenna Rose Glenna Rose is offline

Default What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

[snipped all responded to previously]

writes:

That fruit almost loooks like mangosteen.

Hmmm. Considering mangosteen trees only grow near the equator and are
quite temperature sensitive, it likely is not. I've heard that someone
got one to grow in southern California in a greenhouse for a couple of
years but definitely not to the point of fruiting.

Also, I doubt anyone would describe the fruit as being "milky." It is
segmented like a tangerine with a very thick and hard purplish "peel"
similar to a pomegranate. The fruit is incredibly delicious; the outside
is more bitter than alum.

If you have a growing mangosteen tree, I know some people who would
absolutely love to talk with you!

Unfortunately, the photo was not there for me to view, said it was moved
or deleted.

Glenna