Old 11-07-2008, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Bee sting allergy

On 11 Jul, 18:08, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
On our allotment site one gardener wanted to start keeping bees. Our Council
who rent out the plots wrote to everyone and asked if they minded the
keeping of bees on the site. Needless to say all the "old " gardeners said
yes, with some enthusiasm, we could see a significant increase in crops due
to better pollination. Let alone the availability of local honey.
Unfortunately one of the "new" plot holders has objected saying he is
allergic to bee stings. Our Council have therefore refused permission for
bees to be kept on our site. (no democracy there!)

My understanding is that when a child he was stung by a bee on the hand and
eventually, after a couple of days or so, he got a dark line running up his
arm and had to have medical treatment.

I thought that if one had an allergy to bee stings, once stung, the
situation was serious and needed immediate medical help and also that
sufferers carried a special pack around with them just in case.

So, is what he experienced an allergy to stings or blood poisoning?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Sounds more like blood poisoning to me - the symptoms just don't match
up. In any case, the allergy is very rare though the number of people
claiming to be allergic is quite high. A painful inflamed swollen area
around the sting - even quite a large swelling is in the spectrum of
normal symptoms, it is not an allergic reaction.
The allergy is extremely serious and sufferers will know about it. As
I understand it the first episode is not usually fatal but subsequent
ones can be.