Old 12-07-2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.bio.botany
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default What kind of tree is this (link)? Is this fruit edible?

On 7/10/2008 6:53 PM, D. Staples wrote:
"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message
This thread may have gone on long enough, but I do agree with David and
Monique -- almost certainly Camellia, and most likely C. japonica (the
leaves look too broad to be C. sasanqua to me). And in Columbia SC, the
climate is right.

Leaf is wrong, waxy smooth on the subject, dull on the Camellia.

My camellias -- both C. japonica and C. sasanqua -- have dark green
leaves that are quite shiny on top. When I spray, I must add liquid
soap to the mix. Otherwise, the spray beads up as if the leaves were
coated in wax. I see the same effect when the sprinklers run.

Further, , my camellia leaves appear on the stems alternately and are
serrated as in the photos. Finally, the leaf peteols (stems) and the
woody branches on my camellias look just like those in the photo for
P1011086.jpg.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean