Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rehn rehn is offline

Default Don't mention the war.......

Towards the end of the season the queen doesn't lay as many eggs so there
are fewer larvae to feed and there are very many more adults, far too many
to get enough sugar from the diminishing brood.

THAT'S when the adults begin to look for sugar for themselves. They're not
homeless, just hungry.

I hope that's enough,

Mary

Well, if they have -no- larvae to feed and to get sugar from ( if you
killed all larvae ) the adults are even more hungry.
So if you kill the nest, make sure you kill the adults too.

We used to have problems with wasp-nests in the attic. Very annoying
when up there looking for something in August-September.
What we did was to leave the hatch to the attic somewhat open. When
the queen in the spring is looking for a place for her nest in our
attic she flies through the hatch on her way out( seeing the light ),
into out living room and to the windows where we kill her.
If some queen is not trapped and manages to build a nest all the
newborn wasps goes through the hatch and is killed. The queen gets no
helper the the nest dies out.( the newborn are very confused and easy
to kill ) A lamp just below the hatch will make this even more
effective.

John