Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Squirrel Disposal

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Bad news on the wild life front.
Looked out into the back garden this morning and noticed a squirrel sat in
an unusual pose.
Appeared to be digging for nuts, but with his (her) tail laid along his
back.
About 1/2 hour later, SWMBO saw that he was now laid out on his side.
Being a nurse she started on about twisted bowels etc etc.
Anyway I have to be prepared to face a deceased squirrel when I return
this evening.
I know some people in the group consider them pests and would say good
riddance, but I like to see them.

The problem comes in disposing of the remains.
Do I put him in the green bin as this is destined for landfill, or are
there a million and one rules about not including ex-squirrels or other
animals in domestic waste?
I am reluctant to bury him in the garden as we are remodelling and would
no doubt end up digging him up again.
We only have a small composter, so this is not suitable.
SWMBO does not like the Hugh Fernley-Wittingstall approach and I have no
intention of learning butchery at the expense of the recently departed.

So, assuming we do not witness a miraculous recovery, where does Sammy
squirrel go?

This will not help if you don't have a big garden. I put any bodies on top
of the compost heap and they disappear within 2 days courtesy of Mr Fox.
If that's not an option, put in the general waste bin which is expected to
deal with chicken carcases. I would not wrap it in anything that will not
biodegrade. If you cannot bring yourself to pick it up, use a spade to put
it in your dustbin.
It will biodegrade itself quite quickly though at this time of year. Flies
will lay eggs on it and the maggots will soon chomp it up. Maggots are good
food for birds.