Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default Bee sting allergy

In message , Bob Hobden
wrote
On our allotment site one gardener wanted to start keeping bees. Our Council
who rent out the plots wrote to everyone and asked if they minded the
keeping of bees on the site. Needless to say all the "old " gardeners said
yes, with some enthusiasm, we could see a significant increase in crops due
to better pollination. Let alone the availability of local honey.
Unfortunately one of the "new" plot holders has objected saying he is
allergic to bee stings. Our Council have therefore refused permission for
bees to be kept on our site. (no democracy there!)

My understanding is that when a child he was stung by a bee on the hand and
eventually, after a couple of days or so, he got a dark line running up his
arm and had to have medical treatment.

I thought that if one had an allergy to bee stings, once stung, the
situation was serious and needed immediate medical help and also that
sufferers carried a special pack around with them just in case.

So, is what he experienced an allergy to stings or blood poisoning?

For spring/early summer pollination why not just put up some tubes to
attract Red Mason bees to 'nest'. This year I had a couple of hundred
buzzing around for a few months although it's taken a few years for the
numbers to build up.

http://www.amac.f2s.com/bee/

quote
The Red Mason Bee is not at all aggressive. The male does not have a
sting, a female will sting only if very roughly handled between the
fingers and even then, the sting is a puny thing compared to a wasp or
honeybee.
/quote

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Mason_Bees.html
http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/Mason_Bee_FAQ.html