Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default HELP With Japenese Beetles!

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:14:02 -0700 (PDT), ntantiques
wrote:

On Jul 11, 11:20 am, "Bonnie" wrote:
Can anyone give me some natural ideas for my blueberries and raspberries
that are being eaten by the tons of beetles that are here! We had gotten
beetle traps and placed them away from the plants but I think we drew all
the neighbors beetles also! I know we could spray but I wanted to avoid that
because we also raise bees and also pick and eat when we are outside! If
anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful!!
Bonnie

You have my sympathies - japanese beetles are a pest I remember well
from my childhood. I'm grateful I don't have to deal with them now
that we live in Oregon.

My Mom used to arm my sister & me with quart mayonaise jars with some
salad oil & water in the bottom and pay us to hand pick the devils off
her plants. A full jar was worth a buck & a trip to the Good Humor
truck. We made out pretty well & Mom's gardens looked great. Prices
have probably gone up since then, but if you have any young kids
around, you might give it a try.

Nancy T

My Grandpa Tony did the same with us and paid $0.10/100.

Being the young entrepeneur I watched him dispose of the beetles,
gathered them up and "recycled" improving profits quite a bit - until
he caught me. That was when I learned a valuable business lesson: do
not screw your customer, especially when you have only one.

John