Old 12-07-2008, 09:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Poppy issue

Polly the Parrot wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:02:18 +1000 terryc
wrote:

I'm sure Bunnings follows the old adage that flowering plants sell
better than non-flowering plants.

Err... sure sucked me in!

As a matter of fact, I picked up six heartsease plants for 50c each at
Bunnings. They had all finished flowering and had been put in the
chuck-out trolley for mugs like me.

Well! I know have a beeootiful display of lovely pink and purple
heartsease spilling out of my hanging baskets ($6 at GoLo)! My leeks are
nearly eight inches tall and my silver beet are enormous. Can't wait to
harvest something - anything! - from my garden!

As an aside, while digging the other day, I uncovered three
shovel-headed planarian worms. These are flatworms that live off the
'soup' in the soil substrate and they're *so* interesting. If you cut
one in half, both halves will regenerate and grow. If you cut a chunk
out of the side of one, it will grow an entire new head-end and become
y-shaped. We studied these creatures a million years ago when I was
doing Biology at Uni and in all these years, it's the first time I've
seen them 'in the wild' as it were. I returned them carefully to the
soil and will hope to meet them again some time.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia