Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default Poppy issue

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
node...
Polly the Parrot wrote:
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:02:18 +1000 terryc
wrote:

I'm sure Bunnings follows the old adage that flowering plants sell
better than non-flowering plants.

Err... sure sucked me in!

As a matter of fact, I picked up six heartsease plants for 50c each at
Bunnings. They had all finished flowering and had been put in the
chuck-out trolley for mugs like me.

Well! I know have a beeootiful display of lovely pink and purple
heartsease spilling out of my hanging baskets ($6 at GoLo)! My leeks are
nearly eight inches tall and my silver beet are enormous. Can't wait to
harvest something - anything! - from my garden!

Harvested my first cut of silverbeet from Bunnings. Grown in lovely black
clay (Darling Downs) with blood & bone, chook excreta & trace elements. Will
be adding the sheep droppings in spring to other areas to aid bulking up.

As an aside, while digging the other day, I uncovered three shovel-headed
planarian worms. These are flatworms that live off the 'soup' in the soil
substrate and they're *so* interesting. If you cut one in half, both
halves will regenerate and grow. If you cut a chunk out of the side of
one, it will grow an entire new head-end and become y-shaped. We studied
these creatures a million years ago when I was doing Biology at Uni and in
all these years, it's the first time I've seen them 'in the wild' as it
were. I returned them carefully to the soil and will hope to meet them
again some time.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --