Old 12-07-2008, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jo Green Jo Green is offline

Default parsley problems

On Jun 26, 6:28*pm, erikabos
wrote:
i have no problems with any other herbs but have been unable to get
parsley to grow for several years now. i've tried growing it from seed
and did really well at the beginning but as with bought plants they die
after producing a handful of leaves. i grow them in pots in multipurpose
compost and keep them moist at all times. they are out in the garden in
full sun (when we get some) but we have had a lot of rain so far this
year. Could they be suffering from too much water? Advice would be much
appreciated!

--
erikabos

It is possible that your parsley is suffering from too much water if
the weather has been especially wet and if the soil is not draining
properly. Parsley likes a well drained, moisture retaining soil. In
light of the fact that you are growing parsley in containers make sure
that the pots have adequate drainage holes and that they aren't
blocked. Parsley tends to be more particular about soil requirements
than other herbs. You want to make sure that the fertilizer is high
in nitrogen. Applying the fertilizer every four weeks will also help
to give the plants a boost. I have also found that growing parsley
next to tomatoes and roses helps with the reduction of pests on your
herb plants.

Jo Green