Old 12-07-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Horse Manure - Problems

On 12 Jul, 13:32, wrote:
I know what you are saying, but It might be more a case of fields
growing hay for winter use being treated with these hormones rather
than actual grazing pastures, I could be wrong though.

You had me thinking at least, and I've found that a field wouldn't
have needed herbicide if a) it had been sowed as part of a crop
rotation, say after deep rooted crop to surpress weeds, b) being
followed by grazing and then sowed with grass clover leys - both are
used in organic farming. Perhaps the lesson there, in the case you
describe, is not to use manure in mid winter/spring when the horses
are eating the 'poisoned' hay early in the winter. So sad to have to
come to this really. I use manure only in the autumn. Though I've used
a new farm last year and we got rather suprised with tons of sawdust
mixed pooh. It didn't do any harm, so far, but didn't look good on the
plot. Orange coloured beds is a strange sight ;o)