Old 12-07-2008, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H Gordon H is offline

Default New Reader/Poster

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
"Gordon H" wrote

I know that Terry has his hives at a place where particular pollen is
within easy reach, I think it is Rape Seed.

Pollen isn't necessary for honey, honey is made from nectar.

Oooops...

Oil seed rape is an excellent source of nectar when it's flowering, it
produces a lot, it also produces a lot of pollen to feed the larvae and it
makes a good light honey.

There are management problems associated with OSR but you do get a lot of
honey from it.

When someone first persuaded me that honey is not just sugar, they said
that the pollen content was what might have an effect on hay fever type
allergies. Mind you, that person is a bit of a health freak, and
as we found out, an alcoholic. ;-)
--
Gordon H