Old 12-07-2008, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Bee sting allergy

"Mike Derby" wrote in message
An eminent apiarist told me that honey bees especially, can't stand the
colour blue. Whilst out walking in the country, I was stung by bees quite
badly. All down to me wearing a blue shirt and sun hat that apparently
made the bees very angry indeed. The beekeeper said that no sensible
apiarist would dream of wearing any blue clothing near their hives. The
stings could have been a lot worse as luckily I wasn't wearing denims. You
have been warned!

Mike Derby

I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.

Blue denim, however, can be a problem, apparently. Bees communicate by
chemical odors and genuine indigo dye is thought to be 'offensive' to them.

I think that very little denim is now dyed with indigo, I've never had a
problem wearing my jeans in an apiary. Or anything blue, come to that. It's
the colour I wear most often.

I've heard beekeepers say that red makes them angry ... :-)

Mary