Old 07-04-2003, 09:08 PM
shannie

Default Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)

"iamhere" wrote in message
om...
My father wants to cover a large wire fence quickly and I have come
across the above. I know it is a quick grower, I know it can be
invasive, but this is not a problem as long as you can kill it dead if
need be.

Just to give you an example of how invasive/useful this vine is.
I put two in 4 years ago, to cover an ugly outbuilding wall35ft long X 20ft
tall facing North directly into the wind. Last April with the outbuilding
wall completely covered and half the roof too I needed to build a chuck
run so cut it down to 2ft.(monumental task!) Built the run with the vine
inside, within a fortnight it had lots of new growth and as it grew we
trained it across the lats at the top of the run, by the end of July the run
had a complete vine roof, and it was halfway up the shed wall again, despite
the fact the chucks had eaten all the leaves to about two feet up and
scratched like crazy round the roots. It seems to be indestructable!! It's
great stuff if you have plenty of space to let it do it's thing but if there
are other plants, walls, fences, gates etc that are close by perhaps it's
not the one for your dad. I imagine it'd be a major headache to actually get
rid of it for good if the need arose.

Shan

Shan

Shan