Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default Neem oil as a repellant

In article , "Zootal"
wrote:

I've read that Neem oil can be used as an insecticide as well as a
repellant. Has anyone here had experience using Neem oil to control cucumber
beetles? How well did it work, and will it work as a repellant as well as a
contact insecticide, IE will it repel bugs between applications?

Neem is wildly over rated by a vigorous international myth-making machine.
The Neem tree is worshipped in India as a manifestation of the Great
Mother, and as such any claims of healing value, gardening value, value
for everything imaginable, is pretty much the equivalent of any devout
Christian claiming all you need is prayer to cure cancer and make
watermelons grow to the size of the Goodyear blimp.

Here's my article on Neem worship and the impact on garden use:
http://www.paghat.com/neemworship.html

There are a few practical values for horticultural oil. Neem oil per se
adds nothing special to justify the added cost.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com