Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default New Reader/Poster

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

That's my attitude towards "alternative medicine" - try it by all
means,
but keep taking the tablets.

:-)

I di buy some local honey, rather expensive at £3.50 per jar, but it
didn't have enough effect to make me pay that price again.

The expense depends on the size of the jar. £3.50 for 3/4 lb seems to be
more or less standard up here. But in shops 'local' honey is much more.
'Local' seems to mean anything within a 50 mile radius - and some of
that, I
know, isn't always produced in that area.

I bought some 2 lb jars of honey for £2 each - not local - blended stuff
which was supposed to be runny hunny, but had set. Made some excellent
mead...

Runny honey can be 'set' by stirring it. Set honey can be made liquid by
warming it. It's all the same. All honey starts out as 'runny'. The setting
depends on crystalisation of the different sugars in it. Different nectars
contain different ratios of the sugars, that's why there are management
problems with OSR honey, it can set in the comb, it's so fast.

At our golden wedding anything anyone wants will be available. Same at my
funeral.

Ar. Not being married, my golden weeding is well over the horizon, but
there should be ample stocks of sloe gin, home-made wines, etc.

Worth getting married for!

I have a particularly pleasant one I'm gargling with at present: it
started life as ginger beer, and I re-used the ginger (fresh, minced)
and the yeast in the bottom of the demijohn, throwing in washings of jam
and marmalade jars, odd syrups from tinned or bottled fruit, simmered
orange peel, etc., and when it was done, I added it to the sloes from
which I'd decanted two gallons of sloe gi^h^h^h white rum. I let that
steep for six months, and while it would win no prizes for its clarity,
it is to die for.

Half an hour ago I decanted and filtered some sweet mead which dates from
the 1975 National Honey Show, where it won first prize. It looked like mud
in the bottle, the sediment covered the walls as well as the bottom. But in
the decanter it's glorious, glowing amber. Pity it's sweet, we'll have to
force it down ...

Mary