Old 13-07-2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Raccoons Got Me

The raccoons were really lucky last night. I've been easily distracted this
summer, and yesterday wasn't feeling that well plus dealing with family
visitors to boot.

Got up yesterday morning to TWO raccoons in my yard. One had gone up my
olive tree as the neighbor's dog was barking at it, the other ran across
the yard to another neighbor's. I knew there were 'coons in the area, but I
didn't know we had two. Neither had touched the ponds that day, but I guess
they were just casing the joint that morning for a night raid.

Then my (human) visitors came and by the time evening rolled around I'd
forgotten the (4 legged) visitors. DS told me sprinkler was on, what he
didn't know was I've been turning it up higher during the night. He had it
on the day setting.

So it was the 'coons' lucky night, the sprinkler, I assume, didn't go off
as they were on the far side of the pond, my biggest fish decided to sleep
under the lilies on the shelf, as other than that lily going to the bottom,
nothing else was disturbed. Not a rock in the pond, nor any of the
ornaments sitting on that side of the pond, dropped in the water. :-(

So today the 2nd sprinkler will be put in place on that far side and we
will be more diligent about setting them. If there is evidence of their
return, HOT WIRE will be installed.

Other than a king fisher taking goldfish, that I foiled with lots of fake
fish, this is the first koi I've lost to a predator. She was one of my
oldest, definitely the biggest & prettiest of the bunch of course. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us