Old 13-07-2008, 04:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Galen Hekhuis Galen Hekhuis is offline

Default 12 volt pond pumps

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:58:32 EDT, ~ jan wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:21:05 EDT, DavidM
wrote:

I can't find much via google on serious 12 volt pond pumps. Are there
any r.p.m readers using one, or know of one that can pump suitable
volumes for use in a 5000+ litre pond?

I'm interested to know the power requirements and feasibility of running
from a car batter charged by photovoltaic panels. The price of solar
panels seems to be dropping all the time, and with energy costs going up
it might be worth looking into.

David

I'm hoping you'll find an answer here. I know my son is trying to figure
out how to power my motion sprinklers via solar. At least where the
batteries are charged during the day, and will run all night. ~ jan

There are several things you can do. Depending on the power you
want, there are oodles of solar possibilities. Virtually any pump
that runs on AC can also be made to run on DC, if you are willing to
spend the bucks. You may find that photovoltaic cells are a rather
poor investment as you go farther north.

I regularly run a bunch of stuff, both AC and DC, off photovoltaic
cells. It costs a *lot* up front, but it is virtually maintenance
free and doesn't cost a thing once you get it set up.

Galen Hekhuis