Old 13-07-2008, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter James[_2_] Peter James[_2_] is offline

Default Runner Bean Flowers "Nipped" Off

Bertie Doe wrote:

"Bobbie" wrote in message
Gordon H wrote:

Some of the flowers appear to have been neatly nipped off, or else
dropped off for some reason, and I remember having this frustrating
problem on previous crops, i.e. - losing the first few pods at least.

Birds my man, good ole common or garden birds. Trained I believe by Alfred
Hitchcock....I think.;-)

Bobbie

Sparrows are the worse culpits. The answer next year, if you have the space,
is to grow at least 2 rows and try and bore them to death.

Bertie

We see many sparrows in our garden, and I have 3 feeders out for them.
Never once have I seen them on the runner beans. Maybe Cornish sparrows
have different tastes. Cream teas and pasties perhaps.
--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far