Old 13-07-2008, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Elephant Garlic

"Chris H" wrote:

I planted some elephant garlic in tubs for the first time and most of them
have grown the way I expected. However one of them has thrown up a large
spike with what looks like a flower bulb on top.

The spike will form "topset" bulbils, which will steal energy from the main
bulb. Best to cut it off.

Secondly, I pulled one up and the central bulb had small bulbs around it.
Does this mean they are ready to harvest or could I leave it a bit longer?

Wait until most of the top growth has turned brown. The small offset bulbs
can be planted, but they'll take an extra season to grow a full-sized bulb.

Personally, I've given up on Elephant Garlic. Not fully winter-hardy in my
Northeastern U.S. location without heavy mulch, and flavor more like leek
than garlic. But well-grown it sure makes big bulbs!