Old 14-07-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Don't mention the war.......

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Hornets, while bigger than wasps, are relatively gentle.

They prey on honeybees though.

Can do but mostly they're not a real problem. All social wsps can p[rey on
honeybees, occasionally they'll cause a colony to be unsustainable but
it's not common..

When I went to Germany to visit Nuele (you will remember us from another
group) hornets were hovering around the landing platforms of her beehives
all the time.
Having said that, I have yet to meet a hornet in Leicestershire.
They are all over the place in Germany. Take a walk in the wilds where she
lives, and I mean wilds, come upon a bridge which has a metal handrail which
has a hole in it - and in it is a hornet's nest.