Old 14-07-2008, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George[_8_] George[_8_] is offline

Default Pulling weeds versus hoeing?

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:04:11 -0500, phorbin wrote:

... My favourite is the
stirrup hoe because, kept sharp, it just sails beneath the soil.

Another vote for that.

Our garden has done really well WRT weeds this year. Partly, that may
just be from many years of struggle. Or luck. But, what I did
differently this time is to dig narrow trenches in the (fairly clayey)
soil, and fill them with peat/manure/dirt. This is where I put the
seeds. Then, I watered by hand (it takes a long time), ONLY where I
have seeds. Water is power.

I also walk freely between the rows, which leaves that soil fairly
compacted. And, I had to work down them with my (stirrup) hoe, maybe 4
or 5 times. Way better than other years, though.

George