Old 14-07-2008, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve[_2_] Steve[_2_] is offline

Default Cucumber pest?

mor wrote:
'Steve[_2_ Wrote:
;803693']I've noticed in past years that when my cucumber vines get
about 3 feet
long, SOMETHING happens to the growing tip. It gets kind of brown up
one
side of the stem. The tip curls over and then dies.
Eventually the tip-less vine makes one or more side branch and the vine

grows on but sometimes the new tips die off too.
Today I noticed the first tips starting to be affected for this year.
So
what does that? I've never seen any visible pest. I haven't used a
magnifying glass or anything.

Steve in the Adirondacks

it could be Leafminers and if ti brown spot as you said then its
Verticillium wilt

Thanks but I can't find anything about miners affecting the growing tip.
It certainly isn't a wilt. Only an inch at the growing tip dries up and
dies. The rest of the plant continues on as normal.

Steve