Old 14-07-2008, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default parsley problems

On 2008-07-13 05:13:31 -0400, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given said:
"Jo Green" wrote in message

Parsley tends to be more particular about soil requirements
than other herbs.

That hasn't been my experience. I find it is much less fussy than many
herbs. For example; Rosemary croaks it if the soil is more moist than it
likes. Coriander likes far more cossetting than parsley. Dill likes it
more fertile than parsley. Chives ditto or they dont' florish. And I
tend
to kill mint for some reason. I find parsley is a most amenable herb and
it
will come up anywhere I drop the seeds, even on poor soil.

That's interesting. The biggest problem we have with herbs has to do with
sunlight and drainage. Our basil likes a little shade. Purple basil seems
particularly prone to sunburn.

I think sunlight and drainage would just about sum up most herbs :-)) I
grow my rosemary under the eaves (dry and sunny). I grow my coriander in a
bed in spring and out of the western sun when summer comes, ditto my basil.

The rest of the herbs never seem to care where they are as long as the
soil isn't too wet and there's lots of sun.

Matter of fact, we generally plant herbs in spots where nothing else will
grow and we don't fertilize or amend soil.

I tend to do the same by popping something into a spot I've just cleared a
crop from. The only exception is my parsley whihc I have rogue patches of
where I have wandered by a seeding plant, grabbed the heads and then just
dropped. My best patch at the moment (it's mid winter here so not a lot of
growth happening) is right next to a fencepost (dry and impoverished). all
the other patches are looking like thye are suffering from too much moisture
or frost.

Herbs have been great
right next to the driveway, but we have to pay attention that we don't
step on them or drive over them. Mint is excepted from the above. We drive
over that regularly. Helps keep it trimmed back, I guess...

:-)) I do grow good mint on our other farm. It's on the south side of the
house and it's raging along. Here I keep it in a pot so it gets enough
moisture.