Old 14-07-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Bee sting allergy

Graham wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I'm not saying you weren't stung but the colour blue is irrelevant.
|
| I've heard beekeepers say that red makes them angry ... :-)

My understanding is that they are colour-blind, though sensitive to
a different range of the spectrum to us.

And any beekeepers whose clothes get a lot of venom on them needs
to learn how to handle bees. Bees die when they sting, and that
means a lot of dead bees and a disturbed hive.

That's true if you have a couple of hives. However, my neighbour has about
500 and there are several 1000+ operations going strong!
A couple of guard bees per hive attacking won't affect the hives but the
suit sure will be contaminated.
Graham

I do not think that bees die when they sting, the have a corkscrew type
sting that enters easily. If you are stung and leave the bee alone it
will work round and round extract the sting and live. Knocking them off
tears off their sting, then they die.