Old 14-07-2008, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Baffling Berberis seedling

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

I have found one that looks very weird. The petioles are up to
2-3 cm, and the leaves are very ovate (NOT obovate), and toothed.
I have B. vulgaris and B. thunbergii, but it doesn't match either,
unless the juvenile form of the former is very different from the
adult. Or it could be a natural hybrid.

Any guesses?

And how long do deciduous berberis take to flower from seed, because
that would identify it?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Googling tells me that the hybrid of B. vulgaris and B. thunbergii
exists, and is called B. x ottawensis. You'll probably want to check it
out yourself, but that doesn't seem to match the description of your
plant.

Is the seedling of known provenance, or is it a volunteer? If the latter
it could have been delivered by a bird, and have come from a
considerable distance away.

There's also a cross between B. vulgaris and M. aquifolium (x
Mahoberberis neubertii).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley