Old 14-07-2008, 01:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
DavidM[_2_] DavidM[_2_] is offline

Default 12 volt pond pumps

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I wonder if you can get enough power from a photo cell without paying
an arm and a leg?

How powerful is your pump?

Jim

My current pond pump is 50 watts. An inverter runs at 90% efficiency
according to the manufactures, so probably more like 80%, that bumps it
up to ~65 watts. I'm guessing even 50% output from a solar panel is
optimistic (% of total output, not efficiency) in Southern UK, even
though East Anglia is technically a desert
Looking at 120 watt solar panels make me think that it's not such a
great idea. They are in the £700 region here in the UK, that's without
batteries, charging circuits and the inverter.

How about gas fired steam pump?