Old 14-07-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jay Chan Jay Chan is offline

Default composting

On Jul 14, 12:07 pm, "Bob" wrote:
I have an half acre, I sweep my lawn ever week and have a nice size mound of
grass. I will have alot of leaves this fall. I was wondering the best way to
compost these. We are building rasied beds for the garden we are going to
grow next year.
Thanks Bob

I simply mix up the grass clippings and fallen leaves in multiple
large piles in a corner of my yard. My compost piles are mainly brown
leaves anyway. I sprinkle some fertilizer and top soil onto it.

I mix the content of the piles probably twice per year - or may be
three times if I have nothing else to do. My finished composts tend
to be a bit more chunky than stored bought version because I don't mix
them regularly (mixing composts can be physically exhausting and time
consuming that I want to avoid doing). Most are well composted after
one year anyway; therefore, I take the easy way out.

I only sift the composts if I need some of them for top dressing some
areas in my lawn (like some bare spots that I need to re-seed). I
don't sift if I use the finished compost in vegetable garden or flower
garden. Sifting cmoposts is a very exhausting work that I want to
avoid doing.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan