Old 14-07-2008, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Don't mention the war.......

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
. uk...

Sometimes artificial nesting boxes are occupied quickly, other times not.
don't know the answer. It might be best to cover the top with some dry
vegetable matter or bits of old carpet (and make sure it's kept dry), to
mimic favourite nnatural nesting places. The bees will bring in their own
nesting material.

Mary

Then would bits of dried moss be attractive?

I'd think it would be very attractive, from the nests I've seen. But I'm not
a bumble bee :-)

There won't be any
problem about that!

I can't suggest any way of making it available to them. Putting it in the
box might help - but you do realise that it's too late for a nest this year?
If you put it in the box this year it might go mouldy.

The box is quite well made, for example it has
drip rails round the edge of the lid, so that drips will fall clear of
the wall.

That sounds good.

Leave it in a sheltered, insulted spot next spring - from say March onwards,
and hope.

And let me/us know!

All information adds to the body of knowledge. Nobody know everything :-(

Mary