Old 15-07-2008, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Banana skins - compostible?

Coffee's For Closers wrote:

In article ,
says...

A friend told me recently that you shouldn't put banana skins into the
compost box, as they take many years to degrade. Was he correct
please?

They certainly don't take years to decompose.

I find that they are one of the fastest things to degrade. I
toss in about one per day.

Yes - if it's a bit damp, I'm always amazed how quickly they sometimes
disappear just left on the soil surface as mulch around roses etc. You
can get left with a little pile of dried up banana stalks

Peter