Old 15-07-2008, 03:54 PM
NaomiH NaomiH is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Do you have other / further questionnaires? It does not seem to me that from these questions you could possibly establish what drives people to grown their own food. For instance, you do not ask if they have a family background of vegetable and fruit growing. Nor do you establish if their financial situation forces them to do this or not.

Yes I know it is difficult, by asking people their type of employment people is my way of trying to determine peoples financial situation, as it is not ethical to ask how much people earn therefore this was removed by the ethics committee to minimise any offence it may cause to people.

My main focus of my report is based up two planning methods, the compact city that involves cramming as much into one area as possible and the green city that ensures gardens are provided as well as green spaces. By trying to determine if space is a huge driving factor for self sufficiency it will give a strong indication to which planning theory is the most sustainable.

In addition I am also trying to establish whether peoples communities are largely responsible for how they live, this is the reason for asking what is local to you. What I am hoping to understand is if by living close to a Working Farm it provides people a better understanding of living directly form the land and those who are close to the city centre are less likely to because of the convenience around them.

Valid points which have been noted, until you start you cannot quite grasp how people will interpret what you think is a well structured survey. There are changes I would like to make already but unfortunately I can only now proceed!

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Naomi