Old 15-07-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John T[_2_] John T[_2_] is offline

Default Wormery Vs Compost bin?

"K" wrote in message
Jeff Layman writes
Angela wrote:
(snip) I live on my own so don't
produce tons of waste but I understand that unlike a compost bin you
can give worms cooked foods.

Why can't you put cooked veg in a compost bin? Mine is full of worms
anyway
(how do they get onto the centre of the lid?!).

The logic appears to be that rats will get in if you put cooked food in. I
am not convinced by that logic.

There is another point, that cooked food may include fatty stuff which
doesn't rot down very easily, and if there's too much of it, it may make
the heap go slimy and smelly
--
Kay

I aways thought the theory was to do with rats, and as Kay says too much fat
can do harm to the compost gremlins, to say nothing of the salt and other
things that is probably added..
If the heap is big enough, a small amount of cooked food probaby wont do any
harm, a bit of dried blood, if you can afford it, helps accelerate the
process.
I never had a wormery, they are supposed to be very good, but three open
bottom compost bins seems to handle our waste quite well.

John