Old 15-07-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default 12 volt pond pumps

Galen Hekhuis wrote:

No, these days solar charge controllers are practically off-the-shelf
items,

This is kind of picking nits, but the type of charge controller a
person is likely to wind up with "off-the-shelf" is an automotive,
marine, or generator type regulator, which is likely to be unsuitable
for photovoltaic use.

No, really. I can buy _photovoltaic_ charge controllers for 12V systems off
the shelf at my local auto parts store (Canadian Tire). They're not what I
use for my critical system (Xantrex charge controller and Outback inverter
on a 24V system), but for an auxiliary 12V system I have, it's perfect.
--
derek