Old 16-07-2008, 02:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Poppy issue

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Geez, Otterbot, did you have a punnet of Bunnings seedlings die on you or
something? You sure don't like 'em! ;-D

ha! that must have sounded rantier than i intended, because i do go into
bunnings from time to time!

but having said that, no, i don't like them, & you'll find many people
don't, so i'm not some sort of freak or anything g. if they stuck to
selling hardware & tools & big garden things, and without a neurotic
commitment to "underselling" everything on earth to rout their less-funded
competition & persuade people who aren't very bright into leaving with bags
of stuff they never even wanted, i wouldn't have a problem (in fact, i still
recall my first trip to the first big hardware i ever went into - which was
home hardware btw - what a wonderland! i had to be dragged out bodily!!) but
i dislike any organisation which is only all about product creep (WHY
exactly do they have coffee shops, craft aisles and so forth?), flogging
crap you didn't come for (bunnings are big indulgers in "would you like
fries with that?", and, as alluded to, people who become unemployed because
they lost their business to undercutters have only the satisfaction of
buying garden forks for less-than-wholesale at bunnings to ease their pain.

By all means, go ahead and choke Bunnings out of the marketplace by
purchasing your forks for $5! Until you succeed, however, I'll be a happy
customer and purchase mine for $39. The one I've got seems to be quite
stout and it'll be a while till I need to replace it.

Just for my info, where *does* one get a good second-hand garden fork?
I've never seen one! The only ones I've seen second-hand have had bent
tines or needed their handles replacing (these can be had from Bunnings
for a few dollars...)

many places. most people probably start out in the second-hand-way-of-life
g via garage sales, land clearance sales, trash & treasure markets, op
shops, finding stuff on the street (still my favourite method, i must
admit - the price is absolutely right ;-) but once you start looking you
discover the second-hand builders' supplies yards & warehouses and general
household warehouses. we get this sort of thing in canberra so i can't
comment about newcastle, however since canberra has at least 3 huge general
household/building ones, at least two for building supplies only, etc etc,
you must have something there & if you find a good one you won't be sorry.
we know many people now who will offer us stuff, (which is probably taking
the whole thing a bit far - sometimes i wonder if i am perceived as a
second-hand industry all on my own!!!) there is the trading post, local
newspapers, and these days things like freecycle and e-bay. an increasing
number of municipal tips will either allow you a discreet bit of foraging or
(more commonly now) they sell all the good stuff seperately nearby -
sometimes only the really good things, antiques & whatnot, but oftimes
anything that's perfectly good but was taken to the tip by someone lacking
care & imagination. there is a whole massive second-hand economy that you
just tap into & it's all there somewhere.

I don't quite get your point in this discussion. You seem to be offended
by my shopping at a chain store. If I'm satisfied by my purchases, then -
erm - what are you trying to get across?

well, as i said - that implication that bunnings is performing some sort of
public service more holy than st vincent's, and that every other outlet is,
by implication, robbing innocent customers and rubbing their hands with glee
whilst at it. it simply is not this way at all.

first world people (or "consumers" as you called us) have a MASSIVE
multi-faceted and increasing problem that stems from overconsumption.
bunnings (amonst others, obviously!) actively participates in and
facilitates peoples' overconsumption in a particular way, and that is
ethically wrong. so i said so.

really, it's 2008 & this is all a common public debate now. i'm kind of
surprised you are even asking me. the same ethical questions lurk around
woolies, coles, mcdonalds, and so forth. it's not a question of "chain
stores" - i'm on the record as loving spotlight, for example. but i think
one thing (of many) that home gardening (esp food) does for you is to throw
a light on ethical production and gets a person thinking about wider related
issues. it's related to, for example (back on-topic) "ownership" of f1
hybrid seeds or g.m. terminator technology, and so forth; and how some
people allow themselves to become disempowered to the point where
corporations & the state literally run their lives for them. it's a very big
topic & this post is long enough as it is!!! (sorry about that). i didn't
mean to appear to be having a go, what i was doing is asking the question.
you have to answer the question for yourself like everyone does. (now that
the question is hopefully clearer! :-)

i'm glad you're enjoying starting up your veggie garden which i think is
marvellous - like i said i'd be surprised if it does not lead to bigger and
better things & a slightly different way of thinking - it does in most
people. veggie gardening has the power to change everyone's life for the
better. (really!!)
kylie