Old 07-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Pam

Default Landscape Software

Steve wrote:

Oops! I failed to explain my entire desire. I would like to 'graph' the
plant's location in relation to others, the house, etc. so I am looking for
a way to graphically depict the landscape. I will be skipping the 'design'
step and using the design to maintain the inventory.

I am working on a database (that I will keep on my palm pilot) of the
details but would like the 'picture' as well.

Maybe that makes sense!

Makes perfect sense! However, as a professional landscape designer, I have yet
to see the home software that is effective in achieving this result. The easiest
thing to do is get some graph paper and a pencil and sketch out your plantings.
It needn't be to scale - just a rough drawing of each planting area with the
plants designated and labeled. Changes are acccommodated easily and rapidly and
you can add notes about future changes, planting dates, etc. as you wish. This
is exactly what I do (no time to do drafted, scale drawings of my own garden!)
and my Excel inventory corresponds to each area. Since my plantings are pretty
intensive, this is far easier than using less than ideal software programs,
which seldom allows for the degree of layering and overlap that occurs in most
real life gardens.

pam - gardengal