Old 16-07-2008, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default fruit acidity

In article ,
Brian Mitchell writes:

| Is there any way of reducing the acidity of fruit other than by
| smothering it with pounds of sugar? I'm wondering if there's any cooking
| method or other treatment available to the ordinary person. I like the
| very tart fruits like gooseberries, blackcurrant and rhubarb (nominal
| fruit) for desserts and jams but worry about the amounts of sugar I take
| in.

Yes. Use some angelica or sweet cicely leaves - they don't make much
difference, but do a little. Check that you like their flavour, of
course. I like acid jams, so I reduce the amount - and I don't regard
ripe gooseberries, blackcurrant or rhubarb as "very tart" - there are
MUCH more acidic fruits :-)

Don't believe half the scare stories you read about sugar, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.