Old 16-07-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default fruit acidity

The message
from Brian Mitchell contains these words:

Is there any way of reducing the acidity of fruit other than by
smothering it with pounds of sugar? I'm wondering if there's any cooking
method or other treatment available to the ordinary person. I like the
very tart fruits like gooseberries, blackcurrant and rhubarb (nominal
fruit) for desserts and jams but worry about the amounts of sugar I take
in.

You can strain-off the juice and add some powdered chalk (BPC), stir it
up and then allow the solids to settle. It may fizz a bit at first.

Decant, and add to fruit. This will reduce the amount of acid present.

Specially useful with rhubarb, as (presumably?) the oxalic acid in it
plays merry hell with rheumaticy and/or arthritic joints.

Tying meadowsweet flowers up in a muslin bag and adding to the fruit
while cooking is said to sweeten it.

Secondary question: I notice most of the low- or no-sugar jam recipes
emanate from the US and call for frozen apple juice concentrate. I know
this is widely available over there but I've never seen it in this
country, does anyone know if it's available here?

I know where you can get it, but only in 1,000 gallon screwtop plastic
bottles...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig