Old 16-07-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
brian mitchell brian mitchell is offline

Default fruit acidity

Kay, thanks.

Brian Mitchell writes
Is there any way of reducing the acidity of fruit other than by
smothering it with pounds of sugar? I'm wondering if there's any cooking
method or other treatment available to the ordinary person. I like the
very tart fruits like gooseberries, blackcurrant and rhubarb (nominal
fruit) for desserts and jams but worry about the amounts of sugar I take
in.

Chervil is supposed to reduce the need for sugar - according to a friend
who uses it, it's the leaves that you use.. Think elderflower may be the
same, but I'm not sure about this.

I'll have to grow some chervil and experiment.

. . . If you don't do it already,
grow your own gooseberries...

I do, and blackcurrants (not yet rhubarb). As to letting them ripen, I
have to wait my turn behind various mammals and birds who get up much
earlier in the day than me.

But maybe I asked the wrong question. I have some Whinham's Industry
gooseberries which are supposed to be a dessert variety and they seem
ripe --dark red all round and coming away easily-- but very tart this
year so I wonder if the lack of sun equates to less natural sugar? And
maybe the question ought to have been: is there any trick of cultivation
to encourage sweeter fruit? A particular fertiliser, for example (can't
do much about sunshine)? Does potash have a bearing on this?

Brian Mitchell