Old 07-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Flowers from Spain

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Amanda Wilcox wrote:
I used to live in Spain and they had some beautiful flowers, purple in
colour, overhanging balconies etc. I used to see a lot of them all over.
Does anyone know their name or if I can grow them in the UK South West.

Like a deep blue greater bindweed? If so, probably Ipomoea indica
(also called several other names). It will overwinter happily with
very little protection (mainly against the wet), and my guess is
that it would grow outside on a sunny, warm wall. You need to keep
only a pot or two over the winter, as it ramps away.

(snip)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think that's very good advice. I did cover it with a mulch and, for
several years, it came up again happily from the ground - until there
was a severe winter. If I can do that where I am, it's certainly
possible in the UK South West.
I'll be planting another one out this spring.
Regards,
Roger Van Loon.