Old 17-07-2008, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Totally silly question about onions

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
Ok, this is real, I'm not belittling the guy that asked about spring
onions. ;-)

My advice to him would be to refrigerate them as long as he could before
planting. I have wild spring onions and they sprout in mid-winter, then
throw a lot of little clove type thingies at their tops along with
blooms that then make new spring onions every year. They are only
edible until those stalks start developing new ones, then they lose
their flavor.

Right now, I have a large grocery store onion in the room temp. veggie
basket next to my stove sprouting a large stalk. This is a yellow onion
(probably Vidalia) about 4 inches in diameter. The stalk is about 8"
tall right now.

I'm in Central Texas near Austin. I'm debating potting this onion just
for grins, or making it the next "must use" onion in the the next meal I
require fresh onion in.

What would _you_ do?

Eat it, it's just trying to produce seed. The flavor will probably be quite
strong, so, I'd cook it rather than trying to eat raw.
Steve

I never eat raw onions. Can't stand them. ;-)

Okay, into the next batch of p'tcha it goes!
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein