Old 17-07-2008, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Dunking and orchid in rubbing alcohol

I don't think it's a good idea to crush them, actually. You might be
spreading the larvae. And Phals seem to be a particular target of mealies,
but certainly not the only target.

Mealies really are easy to eradicate with alcohol. But you do want to avoid
spreading them. If the infestation is great, you will want to repot, because
they do infest the roots and medium. Get ahead of it now.

Diana

"Duncan" wrote in message
i will crush every one i can find and a week later the plants are covered
in giant ones. The mealies will kill the phals and i cant find a single
one on any Catts or Onc. and only the occasional one on a Den. Kingianum.
My boss bought a bunch of cold damaged Phals from home depot for a few
bucks each and they were infested. There were a couple of P. amabils v.
formasa in the mix that i kept because they are species. Am I ever
regreting that move.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
It will live and thrive. But watch it for a week to ten days, and
consider treating again. Mealies are pretty easy to control using
alcohol.

I hate the little suckers, though. Just when you think everything is
fine, there they are!