Old 17-07-2008, 02:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Poppy issue

0tterbot wrote:

snip

consulting my planting chart, the answer is aug-dec for my area (cold) with
the band moving forward a few months each for "warm" and "hot" (jan-june)
zones. not sure if newcastle is warm or hot via digger's method. so i'm
going to plant some punnets in august or september & see how that goes
instead - you might want to wait until mid-spring in your area, and maybe
another lot in summer to be ready for late autumn/winter if you are feeling
adventurous (you can only learn by trying). if it's not too hot (they love
water & will go all funny texture-wise without enough of it; also dryness
will make them bolt) and there's no frost either, you should be set - they
grow regardless of cold, unlike some things. also, avoid wallabies g -
when i was plagued with them, i found the plants found it very hard to
recover from having their growing points eaten out - everything survived,
but it's all growing flat :-)

what about celeriac too? planting etc is exactly the same apparently, i've
never tried it though. as my gardening gets more adventurous so does my
eating, but apparently i need to do it in that exact order. g
kylie

Thanks for that! Yeah, I'd like to try celeriac too! I've seen seeds
advertised on ebay, but I'm a bit leery of starting things from seed
just yet. I've never had any success at it and so I'm intending to do
seedlings until I get my eye in. For now, my rainbow silverbeet is
hurtling along and soon I'll be able to make a Spinach and Feta Pie from
it! Hooray!!! ;-D

We don't get wallabies, thankfully, but our dog is a bull terrier (get
that? 'Terrier'?) She likes to dig wherever she finds freshly turned
earth and has already had a shot at the potting mix in my styrofoam
tubs. Blasted dog! I've been squirting her with a spray bottle (set on
'jet') every time she does it and she's finally starting to leave off.
She is a strange dog and really enjoys eating things like tomatoes and
capsicums. I'll have to be vigilant once my garden really takes off!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia