Old 17-07-2008, 01:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
brian mitchell brian mitchell is offline

Default fruit acidity

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Brian Mitchell writes:

| Is there any way of reducing the acidity of fruit other than by
| smothering it with pounds of sugar? I'm wondering if there's any cooking
| method or other treatment available to the ordinary person. I like the
| very tart fruits like gooseberries, blackcurrant and rhubarb (nominal
| fruit) for desserts and jams but worry about the amounts of sugar I take
| in.

Yes. Use some angelica or sweet cicely leaves - they don't make much
difference, but do a little. Check that you like their flavour, of
course...

Thanks.

I like acid jams, so I reduce the amount - and I don't regard
ripe gooseberries, blackcurrant or rhubarb as "very tart" - there are
MUCH more acidic fruits :-)

Taste buds of steel!

Don't believe half the scare stories you read about sugar, either.

OK, but as I seem to be developing late-onset hypochondria there's still
the other half. Plus, as Stuart Noble points out, there's also the
wellbeing of my soul to consider.