Old 17-07-2008, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter Robinson Peter Robinson is offline

Default Runner Bean Flowers "Nipped" Off

Gordon H wrote:

I am growing runner beans for the first time for quite a few years,
have plenty of flowers, but up to now only one tiny bean has "set".
The atrocious weather this week has slowed growth anyway.

Some of the flowers appear to have been neatly nipped off, or else
dropped off for some reason,

Thanks. I am reluctant to snip in this post,

I must be more ruthless!

but I think your first paragraph was correct, I have others setting now!

Good news!

The leaves on one plant have been eaten up to about 4ft from the ground,
but this is close to an untidy rhubarb clump with another broad leaf
plant[1]* adjacent, probably giving the snails a lift!

I have removed snails from bedroom window sills...

Yes, now you come to mention it, I've found one or two in upstair
windows. I suppose their shells means snails can sometimes go where
slugs can't.

Peter