Old 17-07-2008, 01:32 PM posted to alt.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
JS JS is offline

Default Asian pear question

Rick, you may be right. There are a lot of birds on my backyard.
I also have seen similar problem with my ripening tomatoes .
Any idea(s) to prove this hypothesis as I may have blamed the wrong
intruder here.

Thanks,

JIMMY

"Rick" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:11:43 -0500, "JS" wrote:

Tom, I posted one of the hosui that I believe is damaged by insects. I
would love
to hear your comments.
Here is the image: http://i35.tinypic.com/2809wn.jpg
I cleaned it all out, and then it was very sweet and tasty though !!

This looks more like bird damage to me. I can always tell when to
pick my Asian Pears- It's the day before the birds peck them!
-Rick

I also have a 20th-century pear which so far I don't have an "insect"
problem yet. Here is the image: http://i36.tinypic.com/zjxu89.jpg

JIMMY

"Tom J" wrote in message
JS wrote:
"Tom J" wrote in message
m...
JS wrote:
I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th
century). According the information I found on the internet, the
harvest time for the fruits is mid-August,
Does this mean they become totally ripened at that time? or it is
time to pick them up, and bring inside
the house - to prevent insect damage ?

I pick Heifers while they are still firm but changing color. We can
ours so they need to be firm anyway to can. We usually can over a 2
week period.

Tom J

Tom, I started to see some of the fruits got damaged by insects
already. Do you have such problem on yours? I picked one yesterday,
and it appeared to taste almost ready -- sweet taste !! Perhaps ,
that is the reason why there is issues with insects?

I've never had a bad insect problem. just a worn once in a while. If you
have a sweet taste already & fully formed pears, I'd say it's picking
time!! My Kiefers are not through growing yet. Note correct spelling of
the Kiefer.

Tom J