Old 17-07-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
[email protected] poster@giganews.com is offline

Default Raccoons Got Me

A skunk would be a disaster, never caught one. Can they climb a board fence?
Hmnn. I suppose I'd try to throw a blanket over the trap, with a slit in the
blanket so I could grab the top handle, then somehow transport the trap to a
truck bed for its ride out to the country. Then a bath.

Let us know how the electrical trick works!

John Darnielle

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:18:02 EDT, wrote:

Never a cat or squirrel.

How about a skunk?

The trap solved that. I would catch one after
another, they never seemed able to avoid the trap or learn from their
recently trapped brethren. Been doing this for 5 years now, they seem to
strike every other year.
John Darnielle

I had someone send me a picture of 2 raccoons at her pond. Best guess
she's
2 miles away from me. Same ones? Can't say, but it got me looking into
what
was legal here. Apparently we _can_ trap them w/o a permit, but you can't
let them go, unless your property is quite a few miles wide. I guess
you're
expected to kill them, something else one can do legally if they're
destroying crops or domestic animals.

And.... as I continued reading, even after 8 years of the sprinkler
working
for me, they can get use it and the best suggestion.... not nets, but hot
wire. We went to the local ranch & home and gathered supplies.

One more night of hoping the 3 sprinklers hold them off. Son will work the
wire and then I'm baiting it with peanut butter on tinfoil. No accidental
touching, but full mouth contact. OUCH! I know I'll sleep better... at
least tomorrow night. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us